Monday, February 23, 2015

Welcome to Feminists Talk Books!

*waves* Hello everyone! Welcome to Feminists Talk Books! Before I introduce myself, I'd like to introduce this blog since I have the privilege of posting first.

This blog began because we, Jessica, Hannah, Racquel, Natalie, and Beth, are all passionate about feminism and equal representation. We love books, and we recognize the need for more diverse and more representative books. We're proud to be feminists and proud to seek out more diverse books. Society needs to become more equitable and accepting. We need to embrace differences rather than condemn them. Feminism encompases the idea that people should be treated equally. Feminism helps everyone-women, men, all races/ethnicities, all identities. And thus this blog was born. We're passionate about books, and we're big on feminism. We want to combine these because we want to start discussions and make people think. We want to be able to talk about feminism and representation in books. We hope to do our part to contribute towards more representative fiction and a more accepting, equal society. We hope you agree.

My own part in all of this came about when Racquel and Hannah contacted me, asking if I would be interested in putting something like this together. Though I already work on two blogs, I really wanted to take part. Not only are the other women involved amazing, but this is a cause I'm obviously extremely passionate about. My own feminist journey started a few years back; I don't know that I can pinpoint the exact moment, but I believe it came about gradually as I learned more. I then did a summer program at Barnard College, and that's really where all of this took off. I was surrounded by inspiring young women, and feminism was something that was discussed, understood, and embraced. I learned so much during that one week, and I haven't stopped discussing since. I went into it unsure of how I felt about feminism. It isn't something that was really talked about. Being at Barnard opened my eyes, and I'll never go back. I learned what feminism really is, and I learned to be proud of saying that I'm a feminist. My love for books, on the other hand, has always existed. But similarly, it was really through blogging that I came to see how utterly not diverse published works are. As a person with a multicultural background, I hardly ever see myself or those of similar identity in books. And when I do, it tends to be in a stereotypical manner, and I just can't stand for it anymore.

Besides being a feminist and a reader, I'm also a writer (novels and lyrics are my thing), dancer (ballet, pointe, modern, lyrical, jazz), music lover, TV and movie addict, and fangirl. As a fangirl, I'm obsessed with quite a number of things, but if I could only choose one, it'd definitely be Harry Potter. I mentioned that I'm multicultural before, so I should mention that I'm American, Chinese, and Brazilian! It means great food and an interesting mix of cultures. I'm currently 17 and in high school, but I'm graduating soon, and I think I'll be studying International Relations/Global Studies/Political Science/related etc.

I also blog at Fly to Fiction and Lit Up Review (where I'm one of five girls). You can also find me on Twitter and on YouTube! Feel free to say hi or ask me about anything I may have left out. I'm really excited about all of this, and I hope you'll all enjoy what's to come. I'll be posting on Mondays, so be on the lookout!

I hope you'll all get something out of this blog, and all of us at Feminists Talk Books welcome you! Please follow us on Twitter and subscribe via email to stay informed and up to date on new posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!