Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday #1: Inspirational Quotes

We are super excited to tell you all that we are forgoing my review this week because we are taking part in the wonderful Top Ten Tuesday meme for the first time here at Feminists Talk Books. We, along with everyone else in the blogosphere, are huge fans of the TTT, founded by the Broke and the Bookish – so when we saw this week’s topic, we knew we had to step in!
 Top Ten Inspiring Quotes from Books (with a feminist twist, of course)
I've decided to pick out quotes that made me shout EFF YEAH within fantasy books. Because fantasy heroines can be inspiring, even if their grand adventures are a bit more dramatic than our day to day lives!

‘She was the heir of ash and fire. And she would bow to no one.’ Celaena Sardothien, Heir of Fire.


I actually considered NOT including this one because it’s almost too obvious. But then I thought HOW CAN THIS EVER NOT BE ON THIS LIST? It’s such a simple quote really, but oh so powerful. It signals Celaena rising out of her grief and her doubt and remembering what a bad ass she actually is. It's empowering and inspiring and it makes you feel like you can do anything. Haven’t read this series yet? Do so now.'

'I am not your dear girl. I am the princess heir to the queendom of the Fells, and I'll thank you to remember it.' Raisa ana'Marianna, The Demon King
This line needs to be seen in context. On it's own, it could very well be a princess having a tantrum. But it's actually a sixteen year old girl standing up to the adults around her that are trying to manipulate and coerce her. They believe that they can control her, but Raisa will not let that happen. This line made me cheer and once again I think it's the exact sort of inspiring message that people all around the world should be reading. And QUEENDOM.

'I determine my own worth.' Quintana, Quintana of Charyn
Okay, so if you have not read The Lumatere Chronicles...you REALLY should. And you absolutely will notbe able to understand the incredible weight of this quote. Quintana is a fascinating, but incredibly tragic character. She has been abused, physically and mentally. The years of torment have weighed upon her, and she is treated terribly - like a throwaway object - by near everyone around her. So when she says this line...my heart fills up every time. 


'Still I rise.' Maya Angelou, Still I Rise

It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of poetry - whether that be written or spoken word - because I think it is soempowering. And Maya is by far one of my favourites. 'Still I Rise' is a fantastic poem and follows her struggle of being black and being a woman (and her awful past) but how she won't let her bring her down. (Listen here!)


“I avoid looking down at my body, not so much because it’s shameful or immodest but because I don’t want to see it. I don’t want to look at something that determines me so completely.” ― Margaret AtwoodThe Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale is one of my favourite feminist books of all time and, quite possibly, the best dystopian I've read about female oppression. I could write thousands of words about why I think this quote in particular is so profound, but I'm simply going to recommend you read it for yourself. You won't regret it. 


"We do not start as dust. We do not end as dust. We make more than dust. That's all we ask of you. Make more than dust." - David Levithan, Two Boys Kissing

I absolutely loved Two Boys Kissing (and anything else that David Levithan has written), and this is the message the Greek Chorus of the gay men who died of AIDS, who narrate this entire novel, want readers to take from Two Boys Kissing. Here it's used within the context of social justice activism and LGBTQ rights, of course, but you can apply it to anything you're passionate about, I think.

"You can tell your story any way you damn well please. It's your solo." - Jandy Nelson, The Sky Is Everywhere

This isn't quite as obviously about feminism as my co-blogger's quotes, but I think it's definitely feminist; it speaks to me especially in the context of living your life for yourself, which is something women especially aren't taught to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!