Thursday, July 2, 2015

Inspirational Ink

Okay, this week's post doesn't really have much to do with feminism or books. But I guess, in a way, it kinda does. Regardless, I really want to share this with you today. 

If you've been following us for a while, you'll know that a few months ago we participated in our first 'Top Ten Tuesday' and the five of us shared our favourite feminist quotes. One of mine was "Still I Rise" by  Maya Angelou. And today, I got it tattooed. 

Maya Angelou is a huge inspiration to me for many reasons, too many to list. I first came across her when my High School English teacher handed me a beat-up copy of I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, and then I was hooked. Her poetry is beautiful and how strong she is amazes me. She is inspiring, influential and just utterly amazing. She sadly passed away last year, but her voice continues to be heard across the world. So if  I recommend you read anything, read something of Maya Angelou. 



Here's a really jazzy song adaptation of her poem "Still I Rise" which I just adore. This tattoo has a lot of personal meaning to me, but rather than give you a sob story that would make the X Factor Judges go weak at the knees*, I'll give you some of my favourite quotes of Maya Angelou that I remind when I'm having a bad day. 

“You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them.” 

“What you're supposed to do when you don't like a thing is change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it. Don't complain.” 

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” 

And finally, here is my tattoo! 


Comment below and let me know if you have any bookish or feminist inspired tattoos! 

*Apologies to anybody not from the UK who might not get that! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!